Friday 2 February 2018

(More) Great Articles for Twenty Somethings


Sometimes, I feel as though reading articles helps you feel as though you’re not alone. I wrote an article in December, Great Articles for Twenty Somethings. Today I thought that I would do the same; with the quote highlights again, too.

“There was a time when my vision of a perfect future involved you as my co-star. We had a connection I’d never felt before and when I was with you, I was the best version of myself. We laughed and loved so much, and that beautiful and rare connection could have been a fixture of every day of the rest of our lives – at least that’s what I thought. What we had seemed so solid until all of a sudden, it wasn’t.”

“No, you are not for everyone. You are never going to be able to stop yourself from screaming your love from rooftops, you will never be able to play it cool. You are the kind of person who will worry about the strangers you see in grocery stores, the kind of person who will stay up at night wondering about your fifth grade crush, hoping that the sun is setting beautifully wherever they rest their head.”

“The truth is I’ve reached a point where I stopped letting people make me feel like I’m not good enough. I stopped defining myself by how they see me. I stopped letting another flawed human being with the same insecurities make me feel like I have a lot of work to do so I can measure up.”

“And one bad day doesn’t mean a bad life. A bad month doesn’t mean a bad life. So take it day by day or even hour by hour and be gentle with yourself. Know that you are doing the best you can and that this is enough. You made it through the day. Tomorrow is another day, so right now, close your eyes and allow yourself to be sad. If tears trickle out of the corners of your eye, let them. It’s okay to be sad. Soon things will be better. So in the meantime be proud of yourself.”

“My hope for you is that you will not allow these feelings to rule over your life any longer. There will be people in your life who will leave you guessing and say they have the best intentions but do not. However, at the same time, there are people who want nothing more than to make you happy and to love you unconditionally.”

“I am passionate, emotional, stubborn, and driven. I care about the work I do, the words I write, the choices I make, the friendships I have, and the men I choose to love. And in the wake of all of these things, no matter the outcome, I still care. I carry the memories in my back pocket. I use them to become even stronger, to discover myself again, to be an even better person.”

“I need you to know that you will find the places that leave every tender part of you feeling calm and at peace with who you are. You will find the places that inspire everything inside of you to surge and ache with the hope and the beauty of being alive. These places, they are not where you were born, but they will be where you are reborn. You will know when you have found them. My god, will you know.”

“You were always afraid. Fearful of crossing the line. Afraid to say what’s on your mind. Worried too much about what people thought of you. Trying to be what everyone else expected you to be and forgetting who you really are. You were always taking ten steps back so people can be ten steps ahead. You got used to being invisible. You thought that was the norm. You didn’t think you deserved the kind of love and attention you gave everyone else.”

No comments :

Post a Comment